Conan Doyle Events
The school is working to celebrate the heritage of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This will begin with a year-long celebration of the man who both chose the land here in Hindhead and helped design the house which we as a school occupy today. The legacy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is known worldwide through the name of Sherlock Holmes, however over the next year we hope to bring you insights to his many and varied talents as: doctor, sportsman, advocate for justice, political campaigner, a traveller of the world and spiritualist.
We started this series with a lecture on the 24th May 2017 with a lecture by Michael Gunton, Portsmouth Archives: "Conan Doyle - The Hampshire/Surrey Connection". The event was attended by 50 people who enjoyed a talk, an opportunity to see photos and books as well as a drink and snacks before taking a tour of Undershaw.
Events planned for the rest of the year so far include:
- 10th September: English Heritage Open Day (10am - 4pm) with at 2pm a talk by Bonnie MacBird: "Writing Sherlock Now - Modern Holmes on screen and in print" which will cover the screenwriting of BBC Sherlock. Bonnie worked as a Holywood Film Executive and has a passion for Sherlock Holmes.
- 4th October: Lecture by local historian Dr Marion Dell: "We could not have hit upon anything more perfect" - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his family and friends at Undershaw
- November TBC: A lecture by Luke Kuhns, author, on Conan Doyle: The Author of Sherlock Holmes
- January TBC: A creative writing workshop with a theme of crime writing
- Date TBA: Sherlock Holmes Society of London
- 7th March: Prof. Neil McCaw, University of Winchester - a talk on Sherlock and Superheros
- 22 May 2018: Finals of our school’s crime writing and local community art competitions
- 25 -27 May 2018: A weekend of events including: walks, music, theatre, talks, tours and more….
We welcome contributions and the support of anyone who has an interest in Conan Doyle or would like to support the school in celebrating his heritage. This initiative is being organised and run by volunteers - community, staff and students. If you are interested in supporting or helping please contact Anne Edward, School Business Manager at email@example.com or on 01428 609953.